Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Sneaky Way to Introduce Avocado

I've read a good bit about making baby food, and I have to say that one of the foods I was most looking forward to giving my baby was avocado.  I mean, avacado is full of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats.  It is soft and easy to smoosh.  An obvious choice for one of baby's first foods.  But there was only one problem--my lovely daughter hated avocado.  

I gave up on this wonderful fruit until I ran across this blog post over at Wholesome Baby Food.  It sounded like a great idea, but I didn't get around to trying it until just recently.  I modified her recipe by using a mango instead of half a papaya.  Why?  Well, papaya was around $4-5 at the store that week and mango was $1.50.  I imagine you could substitute other tropical fruits just as successfully.  Basically, I combined and blended:

1 mango
1 avocado
1 quarter of a pre-cored pineapple


I have to say, the recipe is awesome!  It smells absolutely wonderful--you could probably add some ice and make yourself a fruit smoothie with the same stuff.  My daughter can't get enough, even with the addition of her nemesis, avocado.  I've also mixed it with some banana or vanilla baby yogurt.

If you want your picky baby to get some avocado goodness, I highly recommend this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment