Friday, August 19, 2011

Babies, and Travel, and Fevers, Oh My!

What a week!  It started off well.  Monday, I had a babysitter for writing time and got to go take pictures with my friend Sarah.  Tuesday, I left for my mom's house.  My husband had a conference to go to, so the plan was to visit with my family, then meet him at the hotel on Thursday.

Well, Wednesday my daughter developed a high fever.  104.8!  No walk-in clinic would see her, so I had to take her to the ER.  An out of town visit to the ER with a 1 year old?  No fun for anyone.  I think Kira called the nurses "meanymeanymeany" quite a few times, as a matter of fact.  Poor nurses.  And after all the tests, the doctor could only say that she has a virus.  Probably.

Yesterday, she did great.  As long as she had her Motrin, she was playing and happy.  The same this morning.  So, I set out to meet my husband a couple of hours away.  By the time I got to the hotel room, she had a fever again despite the Motrin.  I gave her some Tylenol, and now she is resting in her playpen while I try not to panic.

As far as I can tell, traveling with a baby is a bit like playing roulette.  There's just no telling what will happen.  And we have a road trip coming up in a couple of weeks.

Eeep!




3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Did they check for strep? Whenever my kids have a high fever like that the doc immediately does a strep test, because strep can cause high fevers. And I'm often surprised when the test comes back positive, because my child won't even be complaining of a sore throat or anything! But I hope Kira gets better soon!

    I'm stopping by from voiceBoks to share some comment love, and I'm a new follower via GFC. As soon as I'm done leaving this comment I'm going to explore your site some more! I love the design, and I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the photography section. Love pics!

    I hope Kira feels better soon and that you can at least enjoy your weekend!

    Smiles, Jenn
    www.misadventuresinmotherhood.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok... I feel like a moron now... apparently I am already following you via GFC! I must have just signed up recently, because I don't recall having spent much time on your blog yet! Maybe I signed up through a hop... hmmm... anyway, I'll start looking around your lovely blog now... LOL

    Smiles, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. They didn't do a strep test, but they did do a blood test. He said it showed a viral infection rather than a bacterial infection. Her last three diapers lead me to believe it is stomach related--and that's all you'll want to know about that. LOL.

    I haven't been as active recently due to a period of burnout followed by travel and general business. I've been trying to finish the book I'm writing. That, and Blogger has been spazzing on me lately.

    ReplyDelete