Thursday, July 21, 2011

Blogging Burnout

A few weeks ago, I joined a great site, voiceBoks.  Now let me start out by saying that this is a great community, and no one there is in any way responsible for my burnout.  The fault is entirely mine, and I highly recommend this site for women bloggers.  But here's what happened.

At voiceBoks, there are lots of events that you can join, events designed to increase your GFC and Twitter followers, Facebook likes, etc.  I made the mistake of trying to join too many at once.  I wanted to be social and to participate, and I was excited.  This was great, at first.  I've found lots of wonderful blogs to read, and I'm still happy with the community.  But after I found myself frantically trying to return follows one night before the event closed, I realized that my enthusiasm took me too far.

I've been meaning to post all week.  I had a candlemaking post planned for Tuesday and birthday party pictures for Wordless Wednesday.  Problem is, I've just lacked the motivation.  I spent so much time networking and blogging that the thought of looking at blogs has been somewhat repulsive.  I have avoided Blogger all week.

I guess the lesson here is not to try to take on too much at once.  I have a lot of things going on.  I'm trying to finish the book I'm writing (on the last chapter or so!), start a crafting business, and blog, and all of these things take a back seat to raising my daughter.  I'll still participate at voiceBoks, but I think I need to slow it down.  Burnout is not a useful thing.

Tell me, how do you avoid burnout? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth. I was burning myself out last weekend. Then I got edema and my weekend plans got sidetracked a bit. So I didn't fulfil my obligation to an event. Now I have learned to not sign up for anything I am uncertain of. I sent Lexi a note and she was awesome about it. I felt bad. But I learned something through it. Don't over extend yourself, and blogging should be fun. I took a hard look at why I am doing it today, some advice from a mentor helped me take a good look at things. Step back and remember what is important. You have a lovely blog so it will withstand the test of time. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent advice! My wireless internet connection this week has been spotty at best, and I've been able to step back and only participate in what I really want to. Take some time away and in no time at all, I'll bet you find that you come back to it with renewed enthusiasm and a better perspective!

    Following you from VoiceBoks!

    Meredith
    http://daysofwhineandroses.com

    ReplyDelete