Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sippy Cup Win

At her 6 month appointment, Kira's doctor told me that I should start trying her on a sippy cup with a goal of being off bottles by one year old.  This sounded like an excellent plan.  The only problem--Kira wanted no part of the process.

I first tried the Tommee Tippee First Sips Weaning Cup - 4m+ - 5 Oz. (Pink) (except mine was a hard spout design that I can't find to show you).  I thought Kira would transition well to this kind because she loves her Tommee Tippee bottles, but all she did was make a disgusted face and look at me like I was crazy.  I thought that maybe it was the hard spout and started to look for another type.

Since they didn't have the cup linked above at my local Babies R Us, I next bought the Dr. Brown's Soft Spout Training Cup, 6 Ounce.  Yet another fail, my friends.  I even tried taking out the part that makes the cup spill-proof to see if better flow would help.  But as soon as she felt the odd shape, her face screwed up in that annoyed look and more juice was wasted.

I tried both cups multiple times over the last month, hoping she would eventually adjust, but Kira refused to take either one.  Last week, Mom and I were wandering around Walmart and came across the Playtex Baby The First Lil' Gripper Twist 'n Click Straw Cup 7 OZ - girl colors.  I was doubtful, but Mom was willing to buy it for Kira to see if she would take a cup with a straw.  I tried it today, and it actually worked!

It took her a few tries, and I still have to steady the cup for her.  Despite that, she managed to drink two ounces.  Obviously, I can't do away with bottles any time soon, but that's two ounces more than she's ever drank out of a cup.  I am cautiously optimistic.

If there are any other moms out there struggling with the sippy cup transition, I highly recommend this type of cup.  I'm hoping that once she learns that milk can come from something besides a bottle she will start to take other kinds as well.  Keep your fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment