Friday, December 17, 2010

From Bassinet to Crib

I'm beginning to think I made a big mistake.  Kira turned five months old a few days ago, so we decided it was time for her to move to her crib.  The bassinet is not too far from being too small for her, and the greatest SIDS risk period has passed.  Last Monday night, we put Kira in her crib, and she HATED it.  She woke up crying about every two hours.  Not fun when you are used to getting a full night's sleep.

We decided to wait until the weekend, when Ben will be home to help more, but I'm dreading it.  Now Kira doesn't want to nap in her bassinet anymore.  It takes 20-30 minutes to get her to sleep.  I'm starting to wish I'd left well enough alone for a bit longer!  Now she has started a new game.  Take paci out, wave it around, try to get it back in, drop it, and cry.  Mommy puts her paci back in.  Repeat for 20 minutes.  Sigh. 

Hopefully, a gradual approach will work next time.  We are going to try to move her bassinet to her room first to get her used to sleeping in another room.  When the new SIDS monitor arrives (the Angelcare one with two sensor pads), we will try having her nap in the crib since the single pad version didn't quite detect well enough.  I know it is paranoid to need to wait for the monitor, but I lost a sibling to SIDS.  I'd never be able to sleep without it!  Now I can keep the old one in her bassinet or travel bed.  :)

Saturday night will probably be when we try again.   Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment